Tired of writing about the same tired old topics like the ban on smoking in public places, the dangers of texting and driving, or gun control? Good. Your professors are tired of reading about these topics, too.
When you’re writing a research paper, you want to impress your professors with your writing skills, but you also want to offer new insights into a topic. You won’t likely be able to write anything new and enlightening about these tired old topics in only a few thousand words.
So how do you impress your professor if you think he or she has heard it all before?
To begin with, try a newer and more original topic.
Stumped for fresh ideas?
Don’t worry. This blog post contains 25 interesting research paper topics to get you started.
5 Interesting Research Paper Topics on Local Issues
True, it might take a little more effort to research local issues, but you’re up for the challenge, right?
Besides, learning and writing about the concerns of your community not only keeps you informed and involved, but also makes for a great research paper.
A great research paper means a great grade, so how can you go wrong?
To start researching local issues, head straight to local newspapers and online sources. They won’t provide all the details you’ll need to write an in-depth research essay, but they’re a good place to begin your research.
Researching local issues is also another chance for you to practice your interviewing skills. (After all, you’ll need them when you become the next host of The Tonight Show, right?) Seriously though, what better way to get the inside scoop than by interviewing the parties directly involved in the issue?
Not sure what types of local issues to research? Try one of these.
Interesting Research Paper Topic #1. Local Political Scandals
Has a local politician embezzled money, been charged with corruption, or been involved in a sizzling sex scandal?
Interesting Research Paper Topic #2: Local University Dramas
Are employees trying to form (or break) local unions? Are students fighting for lower tuition or book costs? Has the college president (or other administrator) been in the local news lately for any number of issues? Are police investigating a cheating or athletic scandal?
Interesting Research Paper Topic #3: Small Business Struggles and Triumphs
Is a small business a cornerstone in your community, and you want to research its impact on the community? Is a small business struggling due to a new big box store in the area?
Interesting Research Paper Topic #4: Local Government Issues
Should local government do more to help its citizens? Should more money be allocated to fix roads and bridges? Is the city providing adequate services such as clean water, trash pick up, safe neighborhoods, etc.?
Interesting Research Paper Topic #5. Local Public School Battles
Have students and/or teachers been involved in a sexting scandal? Are the school board and/or parents battling over a new curriculum, athletic reform, or some other topic?
5 Interesting Research Paper Topics on Health and the Environment
You can research environmental or health topics ranging from small, local and regional topics to large, global issues.
For instance, you might research the best practices of sustainable cities to explain how your own city might work to emulate them. On the other hand, you might write from a global perspective and examine sustainable cities across the world.
If you’re writing about the environment or health, you might consider one of the following topics.
Interesting Research Paper Topic #6: BPA
Due to concerns with contaminants such a BPA, are canned foods safe to eat? Should stricter regulations be in place for labeling plastics containing BPA?
Interesting Research Paper Topic #7: Hunting Carnivores
Should the practice of killing carnivorous animals (such as wolves) to protect farms and livestock be stopped? Do ranchers have a right to protect their livestock by killing wolves? What are the results of allowing wolves to thrive?
Interesting Research Paper Topic #8: Sustainable Cities
Are sustainable cities and neighborhoods really possible? What are some examples of existing sustainable cities, and what are their best practices? What steps can you take to make your community sustainable?
Interesting Research Paper Topic #9: Plastic Bags
Should plastic bags (including plastic grocery bags) be banned in all 50 states? Should grocery stores charge a fee for each plastic bag used at the checkout? What are the effects of plastic bag bans in states that have already adopted the policy?
Interesting Research Paper Topic #10: Mountaintop Removal Mining
Should mountaintop removal mining be allowed to continue? Is mountaintop removal mining an effective coal mining method? What are the impacts of this type of mining on the communities that do it?
5 Interesting Research Paper Topics on Social Issues
Social topics impact us all. If you’re writing about social issues, you will generally be writing about how the topic affects larger groups of people, such as how poverty affects an entire generation.
However, keep in mind that social issues might also focus on smaller groups, such as a city or neighborhood.
If you’re feeling a little antisocial right now, spend a few minutes Googling some of these topics to see if they might work for your research paper.
Interesting Research Paper Topic #11: High School Dropouts
What social, personal, and political concerns lead to high school dropout rates? What are possible solutions to help decrease the dropout rate?
Interesting Research Paper Topic #12: Children and Poverty
How are children affected by poverty? What can governments do to help reduce child poverty? What can you do to help reduce child poverty?
Interesting Research Paper Topic #13: Medical Rights of Youths
Should 16 and 17 year olds have the right to refuse medical treatment? At what age do people have the right to determine whether or not they receive medical treatment?
Interesting Research Paper Topic #14: Overmedication of Children
Are children being overly medicated? If so, what is the driving force behind the rise in prescriptions?
Interesting Research Paper Topic #15: Free College Education
Should a college education be free for all U.S. citizens? How are free universities in Germany and other European countries benefiting these countries and students?
5 Interesting Research Paper Topics on Law Enforcement
Researching any issue about government or laws can become overwhelming because of the complexity of the issues and even because of the wording of some laws.
Spending time to review sufficient sources (and maybe getting a little help from a political science professor) will help you understand the topic.
Here are 5 topics to get you started.
Interesting Research Paper Topic #16: Technology and the Justice System
Is ShotSpotter technology reliable? Should the surveillance technology be admissible in court?
Interesting Research Paper Topic #17: Policing U.S. Law Enforcement
Should all police officers be required to wear body cameras? Will the use of body cameras reduce police brutality, and/or will it create a safer working environment for police?
Interesting Research Paper Topic #18: Juvenile Crime and Punishment
Should solitary confinement be banned for juveniles? Should juveniles be exempt from life sentences? Should juveniles be punished as adults for certain types of crimes?
Interesting Research Paper Topic #19: Incarceration Rates in the U.S.
What factors have led to increasing incarceration rates? How has this affected the U.S. economically and socially?
Interesting Research Paper Topic #20: License Plate Readers
Are license plate readers an invasion of privacy? Or, are these readers a necessary tool for law enforcement?
5 Interesting Research Paper Topics on Media, Social Media, and Advertising
As with anything involving media, social media, and advertising, watch out for biased and inaccurate information.
People like to share their opinions on such topics through forums, blogs, and their own websites. You know the type: the guy or gal who does nothing but blog all day long about the newest movie, the newest XBox game, or even the funniest Super Bowl commercial.
Though reading some anonymous blog that includes a glowing review of Grand Theft Auto and reading another that includes a scathing criticism of the sexism in the game might inspire some creative thought, you shouldn’t consider them credible research sources.
So remember, as you’re researching, make sure to look for credible resources. (Read How to Apply the CRAAP Test to Your Essay Sources.)
Not sure where to begin to look for ideas for media-related topics? You start with these.
Interesting Research Paper Topic #21: Business Exploitation of Social Media Profiles
Are teens (or adults) concerned that their use of social media is being exploited for profit by large companies? How do these new marketing strategies affect consumers and consumerism?
Interesting Research Paper Topic #22: Social Media and Self-Esteem
Can the use of social media, such as Facebook, lower teens’ self-esteem? Are there instances where these sites can help to raise teens’ self-esteem?
Interesting Research Paper Topic #23: E-Sports
Should e-sports be recognized as college sports? Can a sport that requires little physical ability really be considered a sport?
Interesting Research Paper Topic #24: Advertising in Schools
Should corporate advertising be allowed in public schools? Does corporate advertising provide much needed revenue to schools with limited federal funding?
Interesting Research Paper Topic #25: Advertising and Stereotypes
How does advertising perpetuate gender and/or racial stereotypes? Are ad campaigns that attempt to reverse the norms more or less effective?
Closing Tips on Writing an Interesting Research Paper
Remember, an interesting research paper starts with an interesting research paper topic. But choosing your topic is only the beginning.
Make sure you read How to Write a Research Paper: A Step-by-Step Guide to help you with refining and researching your topic and writing the final paper.
Don’t forget to choose a topic that interest you. If you’re bored while writing your paper, that will definitely show in your final product. If you’re excited about the topic, that will show too!
Not sure if you can work with any of the topics here? For more ideas, read 50 Research Paper Topics to Help Jumpstart Your Writing.
Looking for additional help choosing and refining interesting research paper topics? Try this resource! Want some additional help finding and narrowing your topic? Read this!
After you’ve written your paper and feel it’s complete, have one of our Kibin editors review it to make sure it’s great!
Psst... 98% of Kibin users report better grades! Get inspiration from over 500,000 example essays.
100 Best Research Paper Topics
It is well known fact that writing a research paper is hard. The biggest problem students usually struggle with is finding research paper topic. The main difficulty is that topic is the most important element of the whole research paper. The success of your paper depends on the topic for 90%. Good research paper topic is relevant and not investigated in the full amount, so that the writer has a chance to investigate it on his own and draw his own experiments and conclusions. To have an interesting topic you need to plan it beforehand. When the topic is chosen, it would be good to create an outline so that you could see whether you have enough information for good-structured research paper.
Did you Know we can Write your Essay for You?
We know that choosing topics for research paper can take sometime, that is why in order to help you with this challenging task we propose you 60 best topics for research paper.
Research paper topics list
- Effectiveness of abstinence programs
- Advertisement: should some ads be banned in the interest of annoyance, health or morality?
- Wars in Africa. Are there any solutions?
- Who is responsible for airplane accidents and should victims’ families get compensation?
- How to protect airport security better, for example invasive pat-downs or body scans?
- Terrorism in the USA, does USA policy spread it rather than contain it?
- Should the government lower drinking age to 18?
- Is there a necessity to forbid using animals for entertainment and sports?
- Can modern art be considered to be an art itself?
- Special attitude to athletes and sportsmen in high schools.
- Do beauty contests serve any purpose in society?
- Reasons of problems with bridges, roads, motorways.
- Bullying laws and how to stop it.
- How have the cell phones changed our society?
- Should there be any censorship by parents in textbooks and other children literature?
- Problem of cheap labor at factories.
- Child soldiers.
- Church arson.
- Is it justifiable to break the law for a cause?
- Why to get married if civil couples have the same rights as married couples?
- Is global warming just an exaggeration?
- Should schools pay to college athletes?
- The latest ways to steal money and even identity: cyber crime
- Should we make the laws harder in order to decrease number of divorces?
- How to avoid losing important historical information in the Informational Era?
- Are there any ways to outlaw exams with any other form of the assessment in order to lessen student’s stress?
- Is it fair to tell that fast food is the main reason for obesity? Where is the borderline between individual responsibility and food influence?
- Is feminism relevant for modern women?
- Which categories of citizens should have the right to vote?
- Is it possible that one day companies will allow employees to exercise during the work time?
- Advantages and disadvantages of gap year for school-leavers.
- Generation differences.
- Is it illegal to deny Holocaust?
- Pros and cons of universal health coverage.
- Should a constitutional amendment that gives rights to the legal marriage for gays and lesbians?
- Should the information in the internet be regulated by the federal government?
- What is the influence of the internet on the socializing skills of children?
- Noise pollution in big cities.
- How to beat the corruption?
- The ever-growing cancer problem worldwide.
- Advantages and disadvantages of being self-employed.
- Will fitness keep you healthy?
- How to keep your spending under control?
- Pros and cons of having a good career.
- Positive and negative effects of good upbringing.
- Should you stay to work in one company or change companies?
- The latest news and media – the outlook.
- What is the influence of the society on teenage self-expression?
- Why is it important to go for holidays?
- Can anyone become a genius?
- Is the global warming dangerous?
- Why reading books is essential for any person?
- What are the positive and negative influences of high school?
- Is drinking too much coffee bad for you?
- Can our state economy trigger a collapse in global economics?
- Does fast food cause the obesity?
- Should the laws make the divorce harder?
- Is feminism dangerous to the society?
- Should health care crisis get more attention from the public?
- Should more private schools be created?
- Should private schools be more beholden to government agencies?
- Should private schools exist?
- Are genetically modified foods dangerous?
- Should we be more involved with human cloning?
- Should medical research involve human testing?
- Should medical research be allowed to involve stem cells?
- Is medicine something which we rely on too much?
- Should vaccinations be required for overseas travel?
- Should we require vaccinations?
- Is the increase in computerisation shortening our attention span?
- Are our attention spans shortening in general?
- Should there be laws about using phones in public spaces?
- Should phones be banned in schools?
- Should phones be banned on planes?
- Is air travel becoming over-used?
- Should we use ships to travel more often?
- Is air pollution due to air travel?
- How can we reduce air pollution?
- Do we pay too much attention to actors?
- Is celebrity culture dangerous to our society?
- Is Pokémon Go useful?
- Should the age for cigarette purchase be raised, or lowered? Discuss.
- Should we allow younger people to vote in elections?
- Political elections have become a farce of what they were.
- Politics should be taught in school.
- Political acumen is something which we shouldn’t encourage in our leaders.
- Politics has become too much about individual power, and not about responsibility.
- Are we truly a democracy?
- What is democracy?
- Is the second amendment to the Constitution truly applicable in this day and age?
- The second amendment is outdated and should be changed. Discuss.
- Are we right to place so much emphasis on sports?
- What is the best way to encourage people to take up the STEM fields in further education?
- Should people pay more attention to the arts?
- The arts should be sponsored. Yes or no?
- Should students be punished for having electronics?
- How should students be punished?
- Is the current system of students being able to give their teachers reviews helpful to the educational system?
- Should we allow students to leave reviews on their teachers?
- Is education needed in all cases?
- What kinds of education are needed?
- Should we teach students about politics and how our political system works?
- Is nuclear power the way forward?
- Should we focus on green power?
- Recycling does nothing. Discuss.
- Recycling is the key to littering.
- Everyone should work in recycling for a while to see how it works.
- Food production is a wasteful industry.
- People should be vegetarian.
- Veganism is the future.
More argumentative essay topics.