RE: Chile Life Specialist, REF# 2658, August 9, 2014
Dear Mr. Ianson,
As a highly skilled Child Life Specialist, I read your posting for a new Child Life Specialist with interest. My experience aligns well with the qualifications you are seeking at Keaton Children’s Hospital, in particular my role as Child Life Specialist at Legacy Foundation; I am certain I would make a valuable addition to your organization.
With more than 15 years’ experience, I am adept in the use of therapeutic medical play and in-depth knowledge of JCAHO and CARF standards. Moreover, while my on-the-job experience has afforded me a well-rounded skill set, including first-rate communication skills, I excel at:
- Stress reduction and coping techniques
- Spanish fluency
- Supervision of departmental teams
In addition to my experience and personal qualities, I have a solid educational foundation and a passion for helping children and families.
Please review my attached resume for additional details regarding my expertise and career achievements. I will follow up to request an appointment to discuss how my experience and background meets your needs.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Child Life Specialist Cover Letter
Child Life Specialists provide assistance to children and their families during challenging situations such as hospitalization. These experts teach children how to cope with challenges through self-expression strategies. Typical work activities of a Child Life Specialist are providing emotional support, helping families to develop coping strategies, explaining medical terms to children, preparing them for procedures, explaining illness to patient’s peers, and ensuring a friendly environment in healthcare units.
The ideal candidate for this job should be able to demonstrate the following skills throughout his or her cover letter:
- The ability to interact with young patients
- Empathy and a caring personality
- Emotional stability
- Medical teamwork
- Stamina and patience
- Excellent communication skills
- The ability to explain medical jargon in an age-appropriate manner
- Attention to details
Beneath is displayed a cover letter sample for Child Life Specialist highlighting comparable job assets.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Child Life Specialist Resume Samples.
Dear Mr. Estrada:
As a skilled and caring professional with 15 years of experience ensuring empathic and nurturing care and support for children facing hospitalization, it is my pleasure to submit the enclosed resume for your review. My background and passion for superior children’s experiences in healthcare facilities position me to significantly impact Claymount Hospital in the role of Child Life Specialist.
Program and activity coordination, pain management, and participant relations are just a few of the areas in which I excel. By leading play and recreational activities to create a more familiar and welcoming atmosphere in emotional and challenging situations, I have honed my communication, creativity, and motivational skills. My inherent dedication to fostering superior hospital environments for children has successfully resulted in calmer, less stressed, and more at-ease youth patients.
Highlights of my qualifications include:
- Running a one-person children’s program at the Oleander Medical Institute, encompassing Pediatric Intensive Care, Pediatrics, and the Hematology/Oncology Clinic; organized and led interdisciplinary rounds, scheduled and coordinated specific events for pediatric patients, and accompanied children during medical procedures.
- Carrying a patient load of between 30-45 children at any given time, providing grief support, sibling assistance, and patient preparation and care.
- Winning a grant for a new playroom facility at Oleander, providing ~$25K worth of interactive play equipment for children.
- Orienting and managing program volunteers recruited from local schools and community groups.
- Building and sustaining strong relationships with families, peers, volunteers, and community members.
- Possessing complementary administrative abilities such as records management, reporting, and compliance.
With my experience and enthusiasm, I am well prepared to dedicate myself to the highest standards of excellence at Claymount Hospital and exceed your expectations for this position. I look forward to discussing my qualifications in further detail. Thank you for your consideration.
Evonne A. Gorman