You see a new word that absolutely means nothing to you. The word seems interesting enough so as a wise student you decide to look it up in the dictionary. After researching the term online, you find a proper definition that seems logical enough. Great, you have learned a new word!
However, sometimes a term cannot be described in a sentence or two. This word is so complex and deep that it requires hundreds or even thousands of words to explain it.
Table Of Contents
What is a Definition Essay?
A definition essay can be tricky to write. This type of paper requires you to write a partially personal and also formal explanation of . Considering the fact that this is an essay, you can not pick a term that is describable in a few words. It has to be a complex term that has significant background and origin in history, as well as a term that people can relate to in some way or form. For example, the word "love". It is seemingly impossible to explain this concept in a sentence or two, so we must create an entire essay about it to give it an accurate UNIVERSAL representation!
Types of Definitions commonly used in Definition Essay
- Analysis: Break the subject into parts and define each part individually.
- Classification: What classes does the subject belong to?
- Comparison: Unusual things may be defined by showing its likeness to the common or its contrast from it.
- Details: What are the characteristics and other distinguishing features that describe the idea of the paper?
- Negation: Mention what it is not in order to clear the ground for what it is.
- Origins and Causes: What is the origin of the theme? What is the background information? What is the history of the idea?
- Results, Effects, and Uses: Describe the after effect and uses of the subject.
- What makes someone a Hero
- What is Success?
- Describe Love.
- Explain the definition of Beauty.
- What is Happiness?
- How can one define Respect?
- What is the definition of Loyalty?
- What is Courage?
- Describe Heroism.
- What is Friendship?
These are just some common examples of definition essay questions and topics that are commonly asked on tests and coursework assignments. There are an infinite number of words that can be defined in the span of an essay. The goal here is to pick one that as a student you feel comfortable explaining and portraying. It is time to become a word artist!
A definition essay outline will vary in length based on the term one is describing. As stated previously, some terms are fairly logical and more or less "easy to understand". There are some terms, however, that require deep research and analysis in order to be able and formulate an accurate representation of its meaning! Regardless Every Definition Essay should be written in the classic Intro-Body(s)-Conclusion format.
Steps to take Pre-Writing
Before you even begin writing, obviously a word has to be chosen for the essay to be based around. Here are a few tips to consider before choosing your !
- Choosing a Proper Term:
- As stated previously, it is impossible to write a hefty custom essay on a simple word. That is why it is important to be meticulous during the decision process. Choosing something like a noun is most likely not going to work out. For example, if you chose the term "pencil", there is really not much depth that you as the writer can get into. Sticking in the same sphere, choosing something like "writing" is much more subjective and gives you as the writer some room for implementing different ideas!
- The Word Should be Multi-Dimensional
- Think about it like this: there are certain words in every language that have multiple interpretations; some people will perceive them differently than others!
- Avoid using terms that are universal in every language; an example would be like "hello" or "telephone". Though there are ways you can stretch information on these terms, it is better to pick a juicy one from the start!
- Term Familiarity
- It will be practically impossible to write about a term that has no correlation with your life. You should choose a word that you know well and that also has undiscovered boxes in your life. Ideally, in any research assignment you ever get, there will be some personality knowledgeable gain!
- Do some historical research!
- Considering that humans have been lingual for centuries, there is a 100% chance that your term has a significant past. Check out the Oxford Dictionary's explanation in order to get yourself a point of relevance!
As with any other essay, you are using this part to start informing your writers about the contents of your paper. In a definition essay, the introduction serves two main goals; first, you must give a "standard" definition of the term, and then give the thesis definition!
- Standard Definition: The initial section of the introduction should state the dictionary version. This is important for the readers to have a starting point in regards to the term so as to clarify any possible questions. Also, this is especially important because the standard definition will slightly vary from the thesis one, which allows for multi-dimensionality!
Similar to the classic thesis statement, the thesis definition is your fully completed version of what the term actually means. This is a hybrid of the standard definition, while also mixing in your personal experiences and explanation style! Do not try and describe too much in this section, as you want to split up the bulk of it for the rest of the essay! Make sure that you don’t use passive phrases involving the word when defining your term. The phrases like and are especially ponderous.
The body paragraphs are the part of the essay that really breaks down the term into its core parts. You are taking every variation of the definition and its history and breaking it down into organized sections. An example of good body paragraph structure:
- Body Paragraph 1: History and Origin
- Body Paragraph 2: Full dictionary explanation and use.
- Body Paragraph 3: Personal definition created from experience.
The conclusion is fairly simple and to the point. The main goal here is to summarize the main points of your argument. Rephrase the main parts of the definition and make sure you summed up everything you planned on saying. The last thing that should be mentioned is how this term has impacted you. Usually, before even writing the essay, there is a reason a specific term is picked and part of the reason has to do with personal experience.
Mention how the definition you were talking about affected you.
If the term you define plays a specific part in your life and experiences, your final concluding comments are a great place to concisely mention the role it plays.
Definition Essay Examples
Essay Writing Advice From Our Professional Team
Jackson Super Writer, from EssayPro
When writing a definition essay, a common mistake is choosing a term that is way too broad for the given assignment. When you’ve chosen a term, try to narrow it down so it is easier to define and find examples for. As the article articulates, the term’s origin is very important to the word’s meaning itself. For example, the word “crush” comes from a variety of similar words in nordic languages. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to list every single one of those words as examples. As with word “crush”, a word can have multiple meanings. You can crush a bag of chips and you can have a crush on someone. Whatever definition your essay has, make sure to define it in a unique way. Be creative and approach it from a new angle. As the article states, it isn’t a bad idea to put in examples from your own life of how that specific word has impacted you. This will definitely make it more interesting for the reader.
Need Some Definition Essay Guidance?
Sometimes it can be hard to find a term we know well that also has a multi-dimensional definition. This is a common problem for college students and one that is commonly solved by buying an essay online! EssayPro, the best essay writing service on the web, has dedicated paper writers that know all the tips and tricks necessary to write an effective definition essay, leaving you and your professor satisfied!
Looking for "Write My Essay" Service? EssayPro can help you with any academic task!
Writing essays is an integral part of your school and college life and you can do nothing about it. The only thing you actually can do is try to make this process as simple as possible. You might think that becoming a better writer is something impossible because you either born with your natural writing talent or just can’t write good, there is no other way. But you are wrong. Writing is like cooking. Nobody expects you to cook a perfect cake if you do not know the recipe and did not practice before. It is a skill you have to develop, just like writing. In this post, we will learn how to write a good definition essay and make it as easy as it can get.
What is a Definition Essay?
A definition essay is a piece of writing where you have to write your own definition of a word. The definition must be well researched and supported by evidence. Also, it might be an explanation of what a certain term means. Some of them have literal, definite meanings like table, pencil, or chair. Some of them are abstract, like love, success, truth and depends on a person’s point of view.
You can write Definition Essay for a class or just try writing it to improve your English skills, make it something like a language challenge.
How to write a Definition Essay? Step by Step Guide
Choosing a concept or idea is the main point in writing your essay. Choose a word that describes the concept or idea, for example, "Love", "Hero", "Truth", "Hate", etc. Make sure you completely understand the term you choose. Read a dictionary, but do not copy the definition from there, explain it in your own words. If your concepts are fairly open, then you can find your own definition based on experience, and then find sources to support your definitions.
- Stay away from specific things and objects.
Try not to choose such objects like “pillow”, “shelf”, “cup”, because it can make the writing even harder. First of all, you simply just can’t write a lot about specific subjects and also, your essay will seem superficial and not shrewd enough.
- Choose a word that you know.
Pick a word that you are familiar with and understand on a basic level. This way it will be much easier to write. For instance, you can choose a word “honor” because you know what that means, you have something to say about it, you know how it feels and you can apply it to your life.
- Try to pick a word that has more than one meaning.
It would be better if you choose a word that has plural meanings, especially if this word would mean different things to different people. In this case you will have more to write about, you will have an opportunity to include your own personal understanding as well as interpretations of other people.
For instance, you can pick a word “love” because you know that there are a lot of different meanings to this word, each person understands and experiences it in his own unique way.
- Find the word in the dictionary.
Every word has its official meaning which you can find in the dictionary. Familiarize yourself with it. Take a closer look at the structure of the definition.
- Study the origin of the word.
Research the word in encyclopedias, find out where it came from, study any theories and ideas about this word. Also, if you pick a word from law field, for example, then research this word in certain law encyclopedias.
You can find a lot of information about words nowadays, all you need is an Internet connection. There are many scholarly or academic articles, blog posts, essays and articles. Moreover, there are many videos made by smart people who have already deeply researched many words and now sharing their knowledge.
- Ask your friends and family about the word.
It is important to get your own perspective on the word and to do that you can talk to your friends and family and ask them something like “what this word means to your”, “what is the first thing you think about when you hear this word” or “what do you feel when you hear this word” and so on. Record all the answers and then use them as your sources.
- Come up with your own definition.
Write down your own definition of the word using the data from your research and experiences.
Definition Essay Outline
The essay outline should briefly summarize the content of your essay and organize it in an easy-to-understand and coherent manner. Writing a short draft is very effective, and some teachers even require students to submit drafts to make sure that they have written the essay themselves. Definition essay outline as usually consists of the traditional intro - body paragraphs - conclusion format.
There is a basic sample of how to do this:
In the introduction, you have to let your readers know what this paper is going to be about. In the definition essay, the main goal of introduction is to give your readers two definitions - “standard” one and thesis one. Standard definition is the one you will find in the dictionary. The thesis definition will be a bit different from the dictionary one, so it is important to give your readers a starting point in regards to the term, to make everything clear.
The thesis statement in the definition essay is a combination of what this term actually means with your own personal understanding. Do not write too much in this section, though, save some for the body paragraphs. Also, do not use such phrases like “is where” and “is when” when describing the word. In general, try to stay away from passive phrases involving the word “is”.
This is the largest part of your essay. Here you have to define core parts of the term and put them into organized sections. Use the data from your research, such as the history of the word and its variations and break it down into parts.
As usual, in concluding section you have to sum up the main points of your argument but in different words. Also, make your ending interesting and deep, show how this term impacts your life and finish with giving your reader a sense of purpose.
- Briefly tell about the term you are going to talk about
- Thesis statement
- Body Paragraph 1: History and Origin of the Word.
- Body Paragraph 2: Complete dictionary explanation and use of the Word.
- Body Paragraph 3: Personal definition created from your experience.
- Restate the thesis statement in different words
- Summarize the main key pieces of evidence
- Final closing sentence
Definition Essay Topics
Good Definition Essay Topics
- What is Love?
- What is Wisdom?
- Define What Makes a “Good” Friend?
- Define Success
- Define “Beauty”
- Talk about Solitude
- What Smart Means to You?
- What does it mean to be a Good Person?
- What makes a Good Leadership?
- What Makes a Great Friend?
- What Scholar Means to You?
- What is Loneliness?
Definition Essay Examples
Sometimes people just cannot start writing their essay without looking at a complete example of somebody else, seeing the structure and how it is written. Yes, sometimes students need some extra inspiration to start their own work and that is fine. Thankfully, nowadays you can easily find many sample papers, moreover, here is one for you right now.
I hope this article was useful for you and now your essay writing skills are better than they were. So, I am coming to you with the last piece of advice. Here are my top 4 useful resources, which will help you to make your essay writing game even stronger.
- Essay Topic Generator . The topic is the smallest part of your essay, but this is the first thing people see and it is important. But picking an interesting and catchy topic for your essay might be a real struggle. I feel your pain and I am here to save you. Use this site and create the coolest topics ever.
- Essay Examples . As I have already said, essay examples are good “friends” of pretty much every student. Take a look, get inspired and go write your own great essay. Remember, that these are just for looking and not taking. I know it might be tempting, but be sure that your teacher will find out the truth.
- Essay Checker . One of the most important steps in writing an essay is checking it for grammar mistakes, structure, overall completeness. If you are not sure you can do it by yourself - this site is just for you.
Essay Editing Service . If you checked your essay, but still have doubts, use this site and forget about sleepless nights. These guys know their job, they will make your essay look polished and in its best form