Elements of Narrative Writing
The Components Of A Narrative Essay: Tips For Middle School Students
In middle school you will be required to write narrative essays very often. It is a way of stimulating your imagination and improving your language. Besides, it takes a lot of practice to know how to tell a good story and how to make it appealing for the ones who listen. In the beginning it might be confusing; other essays have very strict requirements, but not the narrative one. If you do not know the basic rules, but you want to complete your assignment in good way, pay attention to these tips:
- Think about what you want to express. It’s true, you have to tell a story, but it needs to have a final purpose or moral. The moral is usually connected with a theme that you already discussed in class, but you have to support it with some personal facts or stories. Is the story expressing these ideas in a clear way? Will other people be interested in it?
- Don’t talk about things that everyone knows. Let’s say that your little brother did something funny a few weeks ago and you told all your classmates about it. Clearly, it’s not good to say this again in your composition. They already know everything so they will have no reason to listen to you.
- Create an outline. This will help you structure the information in good way, and it will allow the readers to find what they are looking for without too much effort. This is the basic structure of your composition.
- Write the first draft. If you already have the topic and the structure you can start writing. This is the most important part of the process, but it’s fun and simple. In the end, you are just telling others a funny story from your life. How difficult it can be? Don’t focus on mistakes at this point.
- Write the final conclusion. As I said, this entire composition needs to have a purpose, which is usually to prove a point. Well, you have to mention in the end in what way your story is relevant to the subject. You can analyze the issue even further and you can discuss shortly about what you would make different if you would have the chance again. Maybe this will be useful for some of your classmates and it will make your narrative essay beneficial.